Monday, March 11, 2013

Week IX & X

So, it has occurred to me that instead of repeatedly making excuses as to the postponement of the weekly blog entries and consequent two-week compilation, I should rather call it a bi-weekly blog.

And thus begins the tonight's entry...

The playlist for last week's show (3/4/2013) can be found here.
The playlist for tonight's show (3/11/2013) can be found here.

I want to bring to your attention an exhibit currently on display at the Central Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. To be found there is a collection of "ancient" instruments and musical compositions from the collection of noted philanthropist and musician, Edwin A. Fleisher. More information can be found here, or by simply visiting the library yourself.

One notable track from tonight's broadcast is composer Villem Kapp's Symphony No. 2, performed by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and conducted by Jeeme Järvi. Both Kapp (Born 1913) and Järvi (Born 1937) are of Estonian nationality. I mention this point because, while searching for information on Kapp, I discovered that the literal translation to his name is as follows: Enthusiast Closet. While this may simply be a comical error in the page translation by Google, I must say that a small compartment made for the purpose of containing excited people, assumably so over a similar interest, may just be a coincidental euphemism for a music venue, specifically those located in a small room such as a basement. If I completely lost you with that seemingly incoherent series of words, I urge you not to feel disheartened, for I did know know where I was going with that and I'm not quite sure I the destination reached was logical or far from that which it should have been, creating a rift in the space-time continuum in the universe of weblogs.

On a more serious note, I would like to point out to you, my reader, an article I have written in response to a certain establishment being included in Drexel's upcoming chestnut square shopping center.
______*****_______
And for the moment we've all been waiting for!
...

This week's featured local artist is Cheers Elephant. Perhaps better know than bands I have highlighted in the past, Cheers Elephant play an upbeat mix of indie-rock & psych-pop, and have released two full length albums. They are currently touring the US, but keep an eye out for them when the come back to Philly, for their live performances burst with an energy that cannot be reproduced in a recording. Most notably, drummer Robert Kingly brings a refreshing excitement to the groups shows with his captivatingly energetic method of drumming.

Their newest album can be streamed in full below or on bandcamp.




Leave any comments below, or tweet me your reactions, comments, questions, send me music at tenselesssensations@gmail.com, and don't forget to tune in next Monday at 8pm for the final installment of the classical edition of Tenseless Sensations. The spring shall bring new adventures for us all.

Peace,
_nick

No comments:

Post a Comment