Monday, February 25, 2013

Week VIII

All right, you got me. This week I have no excuse. I have neglected to write a blog post for week 7, but that only means this one will have double the content, and double the FUN.

I hope you're all recovering from watching the Oscars last night, apparently the most important thing going on in the country at the time. For my part, I was happily listening to Caution by Hot Water Music in its entirety while doing French homework.


But now, let's get down to the brass tacks. Starting with lists:


The playlist for last Monday's broadcast can be found here.

The playlist for this evening's broadcast can be found here.
AND as an added bonus, here's the playlist for the presidents day special I did last Monday morning, featuring some additional tunes by DJ Chris B of Rhythm Method, on Wednesdays from 8 to 10pm on WKDU. 

Some notable pieces from the past two shows include

1.The Yellow River Piano Concerto performed by the China Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring prominent Chinese pianist Lang Lang. This piece reminded me of certain video game soundtracks which I grew up with, quite possible one of the main factors contributing to my current passion for music.
2. Circus Maximus by contemporary American composer John Corigliano, whose motivation somewhat touches on the aversion I feel to popular forms of media and specifically the television.
3. Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" narrated by Benjamin de Loache, along with a composition by Acrady Dubensky performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Leopold Stokowski. If you ever have the chance, I'd highly recommend visiting Poe's former residence on 7th and Spring Garden streets (just near the Electric Factory).
4. Verano Porteno by Astor Piazzola. Piazzola, one of the foremost Argentinian Tango composers, has a very tenuous connection with the city of Philadelphia (as far as I know) in that one of his compositions, Suite Punta del Este, was the inspiration for the theme to the film, Twelve Monkeys, which is based in this city.

And there are many notable local artists I want to present to you, and I had a hard time deciding on one to be this week's featured local artist, but, after careful deliberation, I have chosen: The Districts


The Districts are a garage/rock and roll band whose energy when performing makes there music near impossible to react to, whether physically or emotionally. Perhaps the most notable feature of the band are the vocals, whose delivery is made with utmost passion and precision by frontman Rob Grote. 





So, if that's all you have to hear me say, that'll be all I have to say.

Bye for now.

Cheers!

_nick

No comments:

Post a Comment